What is an alternative teaching license?
Amazing educators come from all walks of life. There are several alternative pathways that can help you complete your preparation program while teaching—allowing you to put your new skills into practice immediately. Alternative prep programs work directly with school districts to train teachers concurrently while they are teaching in the classroom.
Start with your college degree.
If you have a bachelor’s degree (or higher) from a regionally-accredited college or university, you can start your path to the classroom today. You may be a candidate for an alternative license program if:
- You recently acquired an undergraduate degree but did not complete a teacher preparation program.
- You are mid-career but are interested in making a difference.
- You are a community member with a college degree and life experiences you could apply to the classroom.
- You are a paraprofessional interested in getting your license faster.
If you have an out-of-state license
If you already have your teaching license from another state, you may not have to apply to an alternative teacher licensure program in Colorado. Instead of signing up for a coaching call, please check information on Colorado’s out of state licensing process here. If you have further questions about your out-of-state license, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Real job opportunities: School districts are actively looking for people to fill math, science, social studies teaching positions. See the job boards below for current employment opportunities available to you.
Why should I pursue an alternative teaching license?
How to get started: Apply to a teaching job within a school district. On your application, state that you're prepared to enter an alternative preparation program. If selected for the position, your school district will help you identify and apply to their partnering alternative preparation program.
Important Note: Pay and benefits vary by district, so make sure you check out district salary schedules!
Start here. Apply for a teaching job!
Talk to an expert coach
If you have read the information on this page and have a bachelor’s degree, sign up for a one-on-one call with a TEACH Colorado coach who specializes in alternative licenses. This is an opportunity to get your specific questions answered and map out your path to the classroom!
Create an Account
Sign up for your free, all-access pass to TEACH Colorado products and services.
- Create a career roadmap.
- Get 1-on-1 expert advice.
- Follow how-to guides for getting licensed.
- Access prep program application checklists.
- Be in the know for the next scholarship opportunity.
- Claim fee reimbursements towards application and testing expenses.
We’re always working on something new to help the next generation of great teachers. With an account, you get first dibs!